North Sumatra : orang utan, elephants and local culture
Day 1 Medan
Arrival at Medan airport. Pick up by our tour guide and then Transfer to your hotel, free time.
Day 2 Medan - Tangkahan
After breakfast, pick up by our tour guide and then transfer to town for a city tour. You will visit the Sultan Palace, Great Mosque, Chinese Temple. After this you will drive to Tangkahan via Binjai and Batang Serangan. Night in guest house
Day 3 Bukit Lawang – Gunung Leuser National Park
Jungle trekking in the morning to explore the nature of Gunung Leuser National park and its amazing flora and fauna. Accompanied by a ranger you will try to find Orang Utan living in their natural habitat, but also Thomas leaf monkeys, long tail macaques, black gibbons living in the rain forest. The total time for trekking ill be around three hours,In the afternoon, you will have free time to enjoy the nature surrounding the area and you can also take a walk in the village to meet local people.
Day 4 Tangkahan – Bukit Lawang
You will leave Tangkahan for Bukit Lawang by Jeep and see plantations on the way,. You will have several stops in places such as school, palm oil factory (from its outside only) and for enjoying the panorama and witness the activities of the local people. Arrival in Bukit Lawang and check in in your hotel.
Day 5 Bukit Lawang – Brastagi
After breakfast, you will drive to Brastagi , you will stop fo a while at Sembahe River. When you arrive at Brastagi, you will visit Lhumbini Park and its pagoda, you will also visit the fruit market, and Gundaling Hill. Afternoon check in to hotel.
Day 6 Tangkahan – Elephant Safari and River Safari
After breakfast you will have a short walk to the starting point for Elephant riding, where you may join with the Mahout during washing the Elephant, after washing the Elephant you can ride the Elephant trough the river and jungle, the elephant riding will take about one hour. After riding the elephant you will enjoy tubing through the river with a stop at Buluh where you will enjoy the waterfall and take a swim. Afternoon arrival at the village where you can get in touch with local people, see the daily activities of villagers. Night in guest house
Day 7 Brastagi – Samosir Island/Lake Toba
After breakfast drive to Samosir , on the way you will visit Batak Karo traditional village at “Dokan”, stop at Sipiso-piso waterfall, and visit “Rumah Bolon” (Long House) the old Palace of Batak Simalungun Kings. You will also enjoy a fantastic view of Lake Toba from Simarjarunjung. You will cross by ferry from Parapat to Samosir Island in the afternoon and check-in to yourhotel
Day 8 Samosir Island
This day is dedicated to the discovery of Samosir Island, its traditional villages such as Ambarita, famous for hosting the meetings between the Sialagan kings, or also Simanindo, Pangururan and Tomok to discover traditional dances and a museum. Drive back to the same hotel and free time.
Day 9 Samosir – Medan – Airport
Transfer back to Medan, (around 5h drive) with a few stops to enjoy the plantations of the area. Flight back.
Period & budget
When to travel?
The best period for travelling is during the following months:
Price : 625 per person (min 4, surcharge for 2 and 3 basis)
The budget is an indication of the price per person, subject to availability. Your local agent will send you a customized quote with the exact price. The price can vary according to availability, level of services, period of travel, number of participants, booking time frame and other items.
Price includes :
Price doesn't include :
Terms and conditions
- Cancellation received more than 30 days prior to the departure date: a sum of €50 per person will be retained
- Cancellation received 30 to 21 days before the departure date: your deposit, 30% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received 20 to 14 days before the departure date: 50% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received 13 to 7 days before the departure date: 75% of the total trip price will be retained
- Cancellation received less than 7 days before the departure date: 100% of the total trip price will be retained
- Fixed airfares: if your airline ticket was issued in advance, often done to avoid significant surcharges, you will be charged 100% of any non-refundable fees if you wish to change or cancel your flight plan.
- Fixed in-country costs: early charges for firm bookings will be charged if you cancel or modify your trip.
- Insurance costs: if you have taken out comprehensive or cancellation insurance, the cost of insurance is due and cannot be refunded.
Changes to travel contract
Budget & exchange
- A cap or sunhat
- A good pair of sunglasses (level 3 or 4, glacier)
- 1 or 2 sets of thermals: long-sleeved thermal tops and full-length long johns
- Long sleeved and short sleeved t-shirts, appropriate for hiking in
- 1 fleece or equivalent
- A breathable wind proof, waterproof jacket (Gore-Tex...)
- A rain cape or protective waterproof bag for your daybag
- 1 or 2 pairs of long shorts
- 1 pair of walking trousers
- Your hiking boots (high-cut, thick soles...)
- A pair of trainers
- A pair of sandals for wearing in the sea
- Thick walking socks
- A good water bottle (min. 1.5 l)
- A swimsuit
- A long-sleeved rash vest to protect you
- A good sun-cream (SPF 50+, water resistant, biodegradable...)
- Insect repellent
- A wash bag - your personal toiletries
- A camera and spare batteries/portable charger
- A power plug travel adapter
- A head torch and spare batteries
- A pocket knife
- A fast drying micro-fibre beach towel
- A bath towel
- Blister plasters
- A small personal first aid kit
- Zip lock bags to protect your important documents and electronics
- A laundry bag/bin bag for your dirty clothes
Health information & recommendations
- Be prepared
- Stick to trails and camp overnight right
- Stash your trash and pick up waste
- Leave it as you find it
- Be careful with fire
- Respect wildlife
- Be considerate of other visitors